The first four new ullucos

Are you the sort of person who waits patiently for Christmas or birthdays to open your presents, or the kind who shakes packages and tries to peek under the wrapping? I must confess to being the latter sort. I’ve been waiting all year to unwrap these particular presents and the temptation to peek has grown too great. I will rationalize this impatience by claiming that I am ensuring the survival of these new varieties by protecting a few select tubers from frost, disease, predation, or incompetence. At any rate, here is a preview of the first four new varieties of ulluco (Ullucus tuberosus) grown from seed this year. Harvest will still have to wait a month, but swelling in the soil beneath each plant looks like it will be well worth the wait.

1 Like

It is worth noting that three of the original four seed grown ullucos turned out to be very good varieties. CB7x01 became Moclips and Analyde, CB7x02 became Queets, CB7x03 became Humptulips. CB7x04 was kept for a couple years but ultimately discarded as a poor producers of both tubers and true seeds.

2 Likes