Trying for a version of Llumchuy Waqachi that forms tubers well under long days

Llumchuy Waqachi is one of those iconic, extra deep eyed Andean potatoes. We can grow it in North America, but it only develops really big, lumpy tubers if you can keep it going into December. I have been making crosses with it for several years, trying to get varieties that tuberize well under long days, but they usually lose the lumpiness. Here are a few that are showing some promise.

Yungay x Llumchuy Waqachi. This is the best yet, with a clearly defined shape.
potato-yunxllum-tuber-large

Loowit x (GB Pink x Llumchuy Waqachi). Good size and nice color. I would like better defined lumps though, like in the variety above. These two will be a high priority cross next year.
potato-LxL1-tubers-hand

Kinigi x Llumchuy Waqachi. This is closer to the typical results in LW crosses. Lumpy, but not impressively so. Still, it has high yield, reasonable tuber size, and blight resistance, so I will also cross it with the above varieties.
potato-Kinda_Llumpy-tubers-hand

1 Like

These are incredible! I did some experiments using several types of your TPS in the high mountains of Appalachia (zip 24433). Just brought them all in today due to a heavy frost expected tonight (plus voles are an issue here and my cat is lazy :joy:). I found some beautiful variation! I am excited as I am saving seed. (Likely a crap shoot as I didn’t separate plants).

If you have suggestions I am all ears. Folks around here really need a reliable potato that will keep in root cellars, but also have the option to grow from seed if needed, as climate change is causing fluctuations in temps. Breaking potato dormancy and causing rot some years.

If you have suggestions- I am all ears! Love that none has a single spot of blight, the plants were super stars, and I could have really gotten more if I had more time. The mix red mystery potatoes were the super stars!

I also found this! 1905 potato breeding book from 1905! Thought people here might enjoy some winter reading The book of the potato : a practical treatise on the history, propagation and cultivation of the potato in garden and field for home consumption, market and exhibition; together with special chapters on the soils and manures adapted for its successful culture; cross-breeding and rearing of new varieties; pests and diseases of the potato; lifting, storing, and marketing the crop; and a descriptive list of all the varieties in cultivation : Sanders, Thomas William, 1855- : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

I have really wanted to do this for a couple years, I don’t have Llumchuy Waqachi (LW) and I don’t know if I can find the time to make the crosses. But, I think it would be ideal to cross LW with some adapted lines that are immune to PVY like Spartan Red (MSU) or Sakai 35, and to some intensely pigmented lines like Blackberry. Then I would want to cross the best selections from each family with each other so if any traits are controlled by recessive genes you could actually see them.

Deep, innate dormancy is hard to find in Andean germplasm. Commercial chip and russet varieties like Lamoka, Manistee, Mackinaw, Summit Russet, Bannock Russet, and Alpine Russet all have some of the longest dormancy periods. If you want the spectacular colors that Bill has, all these commercial varieties could be crossed with any of the Andean tetraploid germplasm.